We’re jumping into the second month of 2016 with the beautiful Amethyst as this month’s birthstone, the Amethyst is a magical gemstone believed to fight off the intoxicating powers of Bacchus, the Roman God of Wine and said to keep those who wear the Amethyst quick-witted with a clear head.
What is an Amethyst?
The very existence of Amethyst is a mineral found within the Earth’s crust – quartz. The colour of the gemstone must be purple to be an Amethyst but it does have different variations of purple tones; lilac, deep purple, lavender and mauve. Amethysts of top quality are a deep purple with rosy tints.
The History of the Amethyst Gemstone
As mentioned above, Amethyst received its name from the Greek word for ‘intoxication’, the Greeks believed that the gemstone would resist those that wore it from getting drunk.
Over the years, this beautiful gemstone has had many myths, legends and cultures associated with it, during the middle ages the English Regalia were decorated with the Amethyst and the gem was used as a feature in the British Crown Jewels in which it became a symbol of royalty.
A nine-foot cavern was discovered in 1993 in Maine which contained more than a ton of Amethyst Crystal! If you’re curious about the durability of this glorious gemstone, it has a Mohs scale of seven, close to that of a Topaz which has an 8!
February Birthstone Fun Facts!
- Amethyst represents the zodiac sign of Aquarius
- If you’re looking for the gemstone, it can be found in many regions of the world, the most popular locations for the Amethyst are Brazil and Uruguay, however it can also be sourced from Africa, Russia, Mexico, Canada and the USA.
- When it comes to giving Amethyst as a gift, it’s believed the precious gem represents Love, peace, happiness and protection among other powers to uplift and calm the wearer
- If you have a 4th or 6th wedding anniversary approaching, the Amethyst is perfect and represents these two events of the occasion.
- It’s also believed that an Amethyst ring was worn by St.Valentine
If you’re looking for a special gift this Valentine’s Day or maybe a wedding anniversary present, we have a beautiful selection of Amethyst jewellery, simply visit us at Jollys Jewellers
Next Article15th February 2018
Here’s a great guide that you can read on the go when picking the perfect jewellery that suits your face shape.
Previous Article4th January 2018
Due to the age of Vintage and Antique jewellery, choosing the correct way to store and clean your different types of jewellery will keep them looking brand new!